The College Library was started in the same year of college foundation (1926) with the initial Grant of Rs. 10000/-, which had been utilized in purchasing 2255 books. Library Grants are gradually increasing over the years and numbers of books are presently reaching to one lakh approximately.
Budget and Financing:
The financial sources of the Library are mainly the Grant from the Govt. of West Bengal and the Grant from the University Grant Commission (UGC). The sanctioned grant is proportionately allocated to each Department of the College to purchased books.
Now the Library possesses 90,000 volumes of Books purchased from the Grant received from State Govt. and U.G.C.
Apart from these, there are books donated by Fort William College, the then Presidency College, and also Books purchased by W.B.C.S. Coaching Centre, Pre-Exam Training Centre from UGC-CPE and DST grants.
Presently the total number of books comprising of all sections is about 1,00,000 (one lakh).
Library has rare Arabic and Persian manuscripts kept in a separate small Air-Conditioned room:
Journals and e-Resources:
- Indian Journal of chemistry Section (A),
- Indian Journal of Experimental Biology,
- Indian Journal of Pure & Applied Physics,
- Indian Journal of Biochemistry & Biophysics,
- Medicinal & Aromatic Plants Abstracts,
- Indian Journal of Radio Space Physics
- Annals of Library & Information Studies
|Indian Academy of Sciences
- Bulletin of Material Sciences
- Journal of Astrophysics and Astronomy
- Journal of Chemical Sciences
- Journal of Earth Sciences
- Pramana Journal of Physics
- Proceedings (Mathematical Sciences)
- Sadhana (Engineering Sciences)
- Resonance journal science education
- Current Science
- Journal of Biosciences
- Journal of Genetics
Under the Programme of NLIST-INFLIBNET:
- American Institute of Physics.
- American Physical society.
- Annual Reviews
- Cambridge University Press.
- Institute of Physics.
- Oxford University Press.
- Royal Society of Chemistry.
- Economic and political weekly.
- Indian Journals.
- Netli brary –eBooks.
- Personal Books and bags are not allowed in the Library
- Library Membership card is not transferable.
- Library membership Card must be returned to the Library at the end of the session.
- Books cannot be lent out without the Library Membership Card.
- If the Library Membership card is lost, a fine of Rs.5/- only will be charged to issue the Duplicate Card
- Books issued from the Library must be returned within 15 days.
- Books issued once, may be reissued for further period of 15 Days
- Books of special categories such as rare books, reference Books, Dictionaries, Thesaurus, encyclopedias etc. cannot be lent out.
- Students without a valid Identity Card are not allowed to use the Library Reading Room.
- Any breach of Library Rules and /or discipline will result in the cancellation of the Students’ Membership Card.
Library Operation, Services & Facilities
- Working Hours:
- Weekdays - 10 A.M. to 5 P.M.
- Saturday - 10 A.M. to 2-30 P.M.
- Open Access System for Faculties, Staff Members and Students of PG Courses.
- Computerized Issue system using KOHA for
- College Staff
- Online Public Access Catalogue (OPAC) available in the Library and all the Departments
- INFLIBNET- NLIST for the teachers and willing students and staff.
- DELNET connectivity is available
- Privileges of the Library User Members for Circulation:
||Number of books
|Teaching Staff Member
|Non-teaching staff Member
|Part Time Teaching Staff Member
|Post Graduate Students
|Under Graduate Students
- Air-conditioned Reading Room:
- for the students having seating capacity of 60
- for the teachers, a separate cubical
- Internet facility for students and teachers in the reading room of the Library.
- Electronic & Wooden Display of New arrivals of Books and Journals
- CCTV- Monitoring in Reading Room, Stack Room, and Front Office of the Library
- Air-conditioned stack of Rare Book and Manuscript section.
- Reprographic facility (free of cost.)
- Lamination Facility of Library card and for other purposes if required for staff members (free of cost)
- Display of Rare book and Manuscripts.
- Computerized cataloguing.
- Computerized Serial control
- Departmental Seminar Library facility for the Under-Graduate (Honours) and Post Graduate Students.
- Ex- students/Alumni and ex teacher are also allowed to use the resources by visiting the library.
- Reference Service.
- Pest control periodically.
- Intercom facility
- Drinking water facility.
- Fire Extinguisher Service
- Automatic Generator Service during Power Cut/Load shedding.
Qualification: M.Sc. (Chem), M.Lib.Sc. (AMU)
Designation:Librarian (Selection Grade)
- Sri Pradip Kr. Das (Library Bearer)
- Sri Tapan Gayen (Library Farrash)
- Smt.Arati Sardar (Library Peon)
Library Advisory Sub-Committee:
- Nayyer Jamal (Librarian &Joint Convener), Mobile: 9804184309
- Suparna Mitra (Joint Convener), Mobile: 9433007868